Camera Forum

Buying advicetariffs again. buy the R6 II now or wait for the new one?

Started by noisyshadows, 16 Oct 2025. 9 replies, 257 views

Gear in this topic: Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon EOS R6

noisyshadows
Senior member

so sony just put prices up again and i'm assumming canon isn't far behind. i shoot gigs on an original R6 and it's mostly fine but the AF in really dark rooms with lasers everywhere is getting on my nerves. i'd been planning on an R6 II around christmas.

everyone says an R6 III is coming soon but if that lands at $2,800+ with whatever tariff markup gets added after, i can't do it. is buying now the smart move or am i panic buying lol. anyone in the US actually seen canon prices move yet?

mike_shoots
Member

Bit of both. If the R6 II solves a problem you have right now, buy it and go make money with it. I added a second body last spring because I didn't want to gamble on pricing before wedding season, and I don't regret it for a second. A camera that's earning is never the expensive one.

But be honest with yourself about whether it solves the problem. The II is better in the dark than the original, no question, but it's not magic in a room full of haze and moving lasers. Nothing is. If your keeper rate goes from 60% to 75%, is that worth the money to you? For paid gigs, probably. For fun, maybe not.

If the R6 is "mostly fine", I'd wait a few weeks and see what Canon announces. The II only gets cheaper once the III is out, and you'll have a clearer idea of what the tariff situation actually looks like by then.

TomekKRK
Member

Third tariff thread this month. Prices in Poland did not change at all, for what it is worth, and the R6 II is same price as summer. Maybe buy from Europe and fly home with it, cheaper than waiting.

WaltK_AZ
Senior member

FWIW I kept an eye on prices for a few Nikon lenses I was watching this summer and they moved maybe 5-8%, not the doom people were predicting. Sony seems to be the one actually pushing prices up so far. Canon has been quieter, at least on the stuff I looked at.

IMHO the bigger risk for you isn't the tariff, it's the R6 II simply getting hard to find once the replacement ships. Dealers don't restock an outgoing model, and the good used ones get snapped up the first week by folks who were waiting for exactly that. I watched it happen with the D850 when the Z bodies came along... everybody said they'd wait for the price drop and then there weren't any left at the price they wanted.

If I were you I'd decide what you'd pay for an R6 II, write it down, and buy the day it hits that number. Doesn't matter if it's October or February.

  • Walt
tomthurlow
Senior member

Have you tried it with a faster lens before throwing a body at it? A 50 1.8 wide open gives the AF a lot more light to work with than whatever zoom you're on, and it costs about the same as a decent dinner out. I'd try that for a month before spending two grand... just saying

Related topics

  1. Questiongym basketball - 70-200 2.8 not cutting it?
    jbrennan, in Lenses · 3 replies